I received the best birthday present from my bestie. She got me a Kitchen Aide stand mixer!! Last month I made pretzels from scratch which was a complete fail and this made me realize how difficult baking is. You have to have the exact measurement or it falls apart.
So this time around I decided to make cookies from scratch, which was definitely easier than pretzels. I decided that a spin on sugar cookies would be a great way to try out my cookie making skills.
Chai Spice Sugar Cookies
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and black pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the sugar-spice mixture, set aside to reserve for rolling the cookies.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, combine until fully incorporated.
6. Slowly blend in dry ingredients mixing until just combined.
7. Using a small scoop (2 teaspoons) roll dough into balls and then into the reserved sugar-spice mixture. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Let stand on baking sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Recipe courtesy of My Baking Addiction.